Monday, November 26, 2012

Breast is Best...Or is it?

When I was pregnant everywhere I looked breast is best was the word on the street. Doctors said it, nurses said, random strangers said it, even ads from formula companies said it. Breast milk is the best source of nutrition, the list of benefits is a mile long. You must breast feed your baby to be a decent mother. This was the message. Any pregnant woman or formally pregnant woman will agree. Not necessarily agree that breast is best, but that this is the message we all receive.

Now, however, I am the mother to an exclusively breastfed baby and the tune has changed. Now, don't get me wrong, I personally have had quite a positive experience, though I do tend to be oblivious to the stares of strangers. Doctors and nurses are still supportive, but the general message that I see on facebook, on blogs, and in stories I've heard from other breastfeeding mothers is quite different. Cover up, do that in the bathroom, can't you just plan and stay home, can't you pump and use a bottle? So many people view the actual act of breastfeeding as disgusting and inappropriate regardless of their stance on whether you should breast or formula feed.

I am quite a strong person- I don't care what you think, it is my legal right to breastfeed my baby, yes in front of you, yes in public, yes until my baby is 12 (well that's a whole nother ball game, we won't go there). I do like to believe that I am discrete. I rarely use a cover because it is awkward and challenging and doesn't really stay in place, but I do make an effort not to flash the world. And it is my legal right to do so. On top of that I am not ashamed because I strongly believe that I am doing what is best for me and my baby. I emphasize because I absolutely do not judge others who make a different decision for them and their babies, for any reason. It really bothers me that women are encouraged so strongly to breastfeed and then judged so strongly for doing so. Usually though people judge because they are uneducated so I thought I would share with you a little bit into my experience that might show you why I need to breastfeed my baby, yes, even in public (gasp!)

For the first 8 weeks of Tyler's life he breastfed at least every hour during waking hours and at least every two hours at night. Now, for those of you that don't know, that time frame is from the beginning of one feed to the beginning of the other, meaning I rarely spent more than 30 min not breastfeeding during waking hours. Did I have time to pump so I could not offend people and give my baby a bottle in public? No. Did I have the luxury of scheduling outings around by baby's feeding schedule? No. I couldn't even take a trip to the grocery store without having to stop at some point and feed him. Even now Tyler rarely goes more than 2 hours between feedings during the day. And I want to share with you that this experience is quite typical for an exclusively breastfeeding pair.  As new mothers our lives don't stop for the first 6 months of our baby's life, there are husbands, households, other children to care for, along with our breastfeeding baby. To make breastfeeding work it has to be done whenever and wherever is needed. It has to be done at Grandma's birthday dinner, it has to be done at the grocery store, it has to be done at little Johnny's soccer practice, breastfeeding has to fit around our lives not the other way around. Any woman who has the courage and the strength to breastfeed her baby should be encouraged and praised. Not that there is anything wrong with making the other choice, but breastfeeding, especially initially, is not a walk in the park, it takes work and effort and persistence and faith that even if every fiber of you is worried that the nursing pair is made perfectly and baby knows just how to get what he needs. If any of you reading this are new or expectant mothers trying or planning to breastfeed know that I will encourage you and support you in your choice, even in public. To all you nay sayers just leave the poor, exhausted, hard working, courageous, amazing mother ALONE and let her do what is best for her and her family, it is her right to do so after all.


And to all my family and friends who have been supportive of us through this process I thank you. I have had an easier time than most with the experience, but it still took patience, dedication, and love.

1 comment:

  1. This is a nice post! I exclusively breastfeed and got some god-awful looks from strangers. One lady even had the gumption to tell me personally that what I am doing should be illegal in public and that her husband was so terribly embarrassed that he couldn't finish his meal. All I told her was that I was sorry and my son has every right to eat whenever, wherever he wants to. Since we don't eat behind closed doors, I don't see why he had to. And if her husband is so 'embarrassed' he could have switched her places so he wasn't looking at me. Some people these days... :/

    ReplyDelete